Long time, no post...


*sigh*
Summer.
It's a bugger isn't it?
*sigh again*

I've been feeling fairly downbeat and downhearted recently. It could be because yet another academic year has passed - and I'm still no closer to actually knuckling down and getting a PhD than I was this time last year; or even that with the SQA diet of examinations in full flow, my teaching load has dropped off and I'm finding more time to rake around the furthest reaches of my head (and I'm not sure I like what I'm finding); it could even be that the latest crop of Big Brother "inmates," my usual summer companions, are so unlikeable that I feel as though I've been cheated by Channel4. In any case, I've got the blues and there ain't no nothing I can do about it...

Oddly enough, this time of year often has a detrimental effect on my sense of well-being. Purposelessness aside, I find the relentless expectation that summer should be "fun" exhausting and gratingly naive: fun is such a meaningless concept, isn't it? I enjoy reading, taking long baths and staring at the sea (not necessarily at the same time, but I'm not ruling itm out, either...) but I wouldn't dare class them as fun: they are more intense pleasures than anything as frothy and insubstantial as "fun". Fun is the the preserve of those with no sense of consequence. Fun has no conscience. Fun is, to put it bluntly, stoopid...

I think I'm getting old...

0 comments: