"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in..

There's probably no god bus pic
"...Some of us just go one god further." (Prof Richard Dawkins)

I was reading the BBC News website while munching my sandwich (mmm, ham with tomato & chilli chutney and not even a suggestion of slimy salad...) when this story about the British Humanist Association's planned advertising campaign made me chuckle/choke on a crust.

In particular,

"...Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large. I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti. People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it." (my italics.)

Er... Is it just me or is there something a little incongruous about a Christian organization admitting that people don't like being preached at - particularly when it is very much one of the favourite communication practices of most churches? I'm confused...

And isn't demonising the bendy bus a bit harsh? It isn't its fault that people place adverts on them: the buses have no say in what message they have plastered upon them - and they're no more dangerous tranport-wise than, well, trams for example... and far less dangerous than Christianity, historically speaking (no wars have been fought over a belief in bendy buses as far as I'm aware...). Poor bendy bus.

Either way, I reckon it will prove to be a very successful advertising campaign: the buses aren't even postered up and it's already making the news after all...

0 comments: